Tuesday 29 May 2012

Allowing Time : Session 3

We start the session with giving permission to allow oneself to simply be. I open out my journal and show how I found some old photographs of myself and using photocopies placed self-portraits within  different page 'scenes'. I open out too a little musical fragrant soap box filled with tiny 1950's rubbery bendy family figures.  The man has a rather strange look and even odder tie.   The woman is only partly together, whilst the children look sorted.  One mum laughs and mentions she has been up since 1.00 am, and if her partner was wearing a tie at the time, she might have used it to convince him to get up to a hot and crying baby.  As material boxes are laid out I talk about how a friend kindly suggested we go for a cooling walk the other day, to enjoy some time out after a particularly busy time.  We both agreed we felt the need to walk by trees and water, and choose a sunny path alongside a canal to re-connect with the soothing quality of nature.   As it was a very hot, we choose to sit in the shade under a bridge.   We talk and listen, watch the rise and fall of our conversation, together with the movement of the shadowy water.   The time allows a listening space for reflective questions about what we needed for our own well-being, particularly at times of change.  
Q: Can I allow myself to feel the way I do?
Q: Can I let go as best I can?

In this third session we scribble down on paper how we were feeling and then used diverse materials to create our journal pages with themes of before and after.  Concerns are placed within layers, with calm thoughts unfolding into beautiful opening out creative designs.   As we work and mull together, we explore what the MTMS sessions have offered for us all.  Some ideas are shared about what we could affirm to other women:
  • It is ok to ask for help
  •  It is ok too to ask for time for oneself
  •  Let go of feeling guilty about wanting time out
  •  It is good to come to meet other adults & make friends 
  •  Enjoy being recognised as you!
 Flowers & fragrant associations...a space in which to breathe!

How about creating a play about your life?
You could make a kitchen sink drama on one page, what would be on another page?  A chill out zone!
In the midst of the making, talk for some is easier, for others the circle around the table allows thoughts to quieten, confidence to grow and a sense of calm. The group are kind, supportive and caring of each other.  There is laughter as we organise ideas, thoughts and materials - inks, ribbons, cuts-outs and fabrics.  Worries spill around the table and are folded back in again. On looking at the clock I reflect on how we have experienced a timeless space again, but I need to start organising myself quickly to close on time, when I notice my huge bag of brightly coloured sequins have burst out at the bottom of my materials box!


No comments:

Post a Comment