Thursday 24 May 2012

Identity: Session 2

We start with not knowing how to start...then there is a thought about identity, what makes us so different, about how we may have changed. There is an idea to start a thought list, include too thoughts about what we need as individuals.  I show a little story card I have made for myself, which notes a visual prescription of more time required in nature, a need for sunshine, different horizons and daily walks. 

The room goes quiet.  And, there it is, the moment of panic, of not knowing what to do, how to think, how to respond.  I chat about going to a vintage party dressed in the wrong era gear, and reflect on the enjoyable art of writing a fast and furiously long letter to myself about a troubling matter, and then the ripping it up and discovering I liked the patterns the writing created.  We begin our list with our name/s.
Suddenly there is a change in the room, heaviness transforms into movement, there is a scribbling in different colour pens, followed by some rigorous stamping, some beautiful folding and unfolding, plus a heavy application of glitter and a panic about fabric and glue

Add cA discussion unfolds about elements of our life which have changed.  For instance, never having time to oneself, a longing for deep uninterrupted bath times and regular beauty regimes - a remembering of special places where we can reconnectaption



.
We discuss the use of different materials to describe our thoughts on our pages.  Old photographs are quietly placed on the table, together with some mags and ribbons and a pair of scissors.  There is talk about the inspiration behind a torn papery monochrome landscape and a felt black dog.


We begin, all doing something different...the pages transform, and there is a unspoken struggle to get things right.  A plate of custard creams and choc drop biscuits goes round the table, together with cups of strange tasting tea and quiet observations.  In addition to stamping, glueing and arranging, there is talk of times past, never ending responsibility, pressure and excitement about events to come.

"I was really nervous when I came to the first session, not about leaving the baby, more about meeting other mothers.
Its been the best and worse time (having a baby)...
My body has changed size since a 36 hour labour, now I am a size 8 and I used to be blonde!
I felt inspired by the first session, each day since I have put aside half an hour at the end of the day to spend time with my journal, its really helped me reflect on myself. 
Its been great coming here and being with other grown-ups!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment